Sunday, July 26, 2009

Surgery update...

Hey all! So, I had my ear surgery a week ago this past Friday (July 17). It went well, but was even longer than anticipated...it took 6 1/2 hours. Fortunately when they got in there and started removing the tumor, they found that my three little bones that help with hearing (ossicle bones) were still there...that is great news! Since the bones are still there, I will not have to have artificial bone grafts to reconstruct the bones. So, they went in removed the tumor, made me a new ear drum, made the ear canal larger, and removed some of the mastoid bone. Anesthetic makes me quite nauseous, especially when I am under for anything longer than 3 hours, so I have been pretty sick from it. Now, I am just dizzy a lot from the whole ear thing, and that in turn make me nauseous. I spend a lot of my time sitting or laying on the couch...not very fun. I just want to get up and play with my kids, take care of my family, etc. I am really hoping the dizziness will get better soon. I go to the doctor on Wednesday for a follow-up, and they will also remove some of the packing from my ear (I have packing on both sides of my ear drum, the stuff on the inside will dissolve in 3-4 weeks). I think my ear is definitely healing, and can't wait until it's healed enough to see if my hearing is better! Anyway, there is an update of what is going on for me...

7 comments:

Erin Davis said...

I'm glad everything went well. It's so fun to see your cute family! Check out our blog at davisboys.blogspot.com

tiff snedaker said...

Wow, I didn't realize you had a tumor...in your ear? Sounds painful, and that is one long surgery. So sad you couldn't make it to the cause party, but I think surgery is a pretty good excuse. :)
I hope you recover quickly! ((HUGS))

Jenni Call said...

So glad to hear you are recovering! It must stink to sit on the sidelines for a week or two. Hopefully, you won't have to go through many more surgeries (on your ear). Did you sneak in new photos of Kenna and Bridger? I saw your sideline photos...way cute. I am drooling for more.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update! I hope you get back to normal quickly. Love the new fam pic & pics of your cute kids!

Our Family said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I hope you get better soon and I'm glad you got some good news out of it.

Mary said...

I'm glad the surgery went well, but sorry your still dizzy! Hopefully that will go away soon!

Tina Johnson said...

I hope you have a very speedy recovery. Your new family pictures are beautiful. love you Guys!